Friday, November 11, 2005

Economic optimism

For the first time in at least 3 decades, I am optimistic about us, Filipinos and the Philippines as a nation.
Adam Smith in 1776 wrote in 'The Wealth of Nations' that the source of wealth of a nation are it's people -their skills, dexterity and judgment- not gold and silver.
I went to Bohol, Cebu City, Ozamis and Manila last May. Visible signs of economic activity in every place I went.
At Bohol Tropics, there was a Math Competition for kids including several Asian countries. The hotel was full almost everyday. Internet access was free but dial up slow at the hotel. Internet cafe was a tricycle ride to downtown Tagbilaran and allowed me to use my laptop.
Took an air conditioned 'van-for-hire' from bus terminal instead of a clunky big bus or a private car to my hometown.
Few weeks before, the top floor of the market building burned down yet people were going about the business of exchanging goods. Enterprising Boholanos taking care of themselves for their own self interest.
A knowledgeable entrepreneur in Tagbilaran unlock my US cameraphone and installed a SIM card. I text and blend with everyone everywhere. Text messaging is cheap globally.
We went to Terra Azul beach one afternoon. The one lane unpaved road to Panglao was rough but worth seeing the ocean beach and the economic activity in that quiet island that I last visited in 1966. Dinner at beautiful and deliciously healthy Bee's Farm capped the night. Every dish had honey in it.
Economic competition terminated the supercut ferry services between Tagbilaran and Cebu. It is cheaper to go via Tubigon to Cebu. Demand will improve and increase flights to Tagbilaran airport soon.

No comments: