Tuesday, January 11, 2005

An immigrant's reminder


An Immigrant's Reminder
"I gave you a land which you had not tilled and cities which you had not built, to dwell in; you have eaten of vineyards and olive groves which you did not plant." Joshua 24:13

I recently finish reading Victor Davis Hanson's book, Mexifornia and Basic Economics: a citizen’s guide to the economy by Thomas Sowell.
My vision is to merge Mr. Hanson's illegal immigration solutions and Mr. Sowell’s Adam Smith Milton Friedman inspired economic solutions to the nation of my birth - Philippines.
I fully agree ‘that the future of the nation is entirely in the hands of its current residents’. Mr. Sowell says human capital is the source of knowledge and insight.

My husband and I are one of ‘THE POOR OF THE WORLD’ who voted with our feet in 1969 in the Epilogue of Mexifornia. We never bothered to vote for the re-election of Ferdinand in 1969. When you’re just married, who cares if Marcos becomes a dictator. My first plane ride from Manila to Newark, NJ on TWA are my honeymoon memories.
My friend Che & I stayed in line at the US Embassy to apply for an immigrant visa. Most of my nursing colleagues were impatient for the 6-12 month wait (in1969), they applied as nursing exchange students in order to get a visa within a month. They illegally stayed after their contracts expired or until their employers convert their status to an immigrant visa. But, we are all immigrants and US citizens now, thirty something years past. Our children call themselves Americans, sometimes hyphenated to suit their self-interest. All independent and confidently self assured. All grown up and me left to pursue my own self-interest.

No comments: